Please read this carefully as this policy is legally binding when you purchase our products or use our service or mobile application.
MPower (referring to MPower Ventures AG and all MPower-Group companies) takes data privacy and protection very seriously! In the course of our activities, especially with regards to product development and financing services, we need to gather and use certain information about individuals and companies. This policy explains
- how we collect, use, store, transfer and share (hereinafter together referred to as “processing”) your (i) personal information and (ii) information related to your devices (“device information”, together with personal information “your data”),
- why we process your data,
- what we need from you in relation to your personal data and
- your rights in relation to the processing of your personal information.
We regularly review industry best practice and ensure that we meet high standards of data protection at all times and comply with the law.
1. The Data we process and the reason why
For which purposes do we process your data?
We process your personal to gather data which is necessary for (i) the provision of the requested products and services, including necessary loan if applicable, in fulfilment of our contractual relationship; (ii) credit assessment; (iii) risk reduction and management related to the sale of our products; (iv) impact measurements; (v) the management, support, improvement and further development of our business, products and services; and (vi) market research. We also use your personal data to ask you for feedback and to notify you of important developments, new products and initiatives.
We process information from your devices to (i) activate or deactivate your device depending on its credit status, (ii) to monitor and investigate whether your device is being used in accordance with our terms and conditions found on our website and in the relevant product manual, (iii) investigate cases of fraud or illegal activity, (iv) monitor device performance including battery performance and charging information for the purposes of troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes, (iv) to determine use location information to tailor our services according to the needs of a specific location.
We may also combine the information we receive from third-party sources with the information you give to us and the information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
We also process data to comply with applicable laws, regulations, and rules, such as those relating to “know-your-customer” and anti-money laundering requirements.
When do we collect your data?
We are collecting your data when you:
- Sign up to purchase our products and services, use our application, and fill out our customer registration form, either yourself or with the help of a MPower employee or employee of a contracted distribution partner.
- Register on our website or on a MPower application.
- Possess or use an MPower Product.
- Make payments to us.
- Call or otherwise contact us including SMS, USSD or an in-store visit to report a problem or discuss an issue.
- Participate in market studies, surveys, or promotions.
- Participate in discussions on our social media platforms.
What data do we process?
We might process the following information about you:
a) Information you give us when we enter into a contract:
When you purchase our products or services you provide us with your personal details in our customer agreement. These include your name, email address, occupation, birth date, gender, mobile number, national identity number (or other similar identification numbers as applicable), geographical location, and physical address (“personal details”).
When you purchase our product, we may also need additional financial information from you such as your daily income/purchase potential or any information needed to comply with the terms and conditions of our contract with you, for the particular service.
b) Information we collect about you from the use of our products and services:
We process the payments you make to us and your account information when using our services. We process your overall account balance and payment history. We process your information when you call or otherwise contact us via SMS or USSD, to either report a problem or discuss an issue.
We process your location when analysing your device performance, and during repairs and replacement of the products and services, and while investigating fraud. We process usage data of your device.
c) Information from our website, engaging on social media or using a MPower application:
If you are engaging via social media with us, we may process your profile data, information about your product preferences, your social network and payment capabilities.
If you use a MPower application, we may process beside your personal details also information regarding your living and energy supply situation, your energy need and product preferences.
d) Information from third parties:
We may be processing information about you that we receive from third parties including Credit Reference Bureaus, Mobile Network Providers, Data and Analytics Firms, Business Process Outsourcing Firms and Financial Institutions.
The collection of the information under (a), (b) and (c) is mandatory. The failure to freely consent and provide any of the above-listed information would prevent us from entering into an agreement with you and would prohibit us from providing any products and services to you.
2. How do we protect your information?
We care about the security of your data. We use encryption to protect sensitive information and personal data. We also protect your information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job are granted access to personally identifiable information.
We take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting you access to our services. As you will know, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data during transmission, and any transmission is at your own risk.
For how long do we store your data?
We store your data for the duration of the use of our product or our services. If you have terminated any contractual relationship with us, MPower, its affiliates or its service providers may retain data for as long as is required under applicable law in order to determine your eligibility for additional products or services, to perform analytics and help improve future product offerings and services or otherwise for backup, archival, and/or audit purposes.
3. Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
We may share your data with the following, selected third parties including:
- Business processing outsourcing firms including those handling customer care, customer communications and payment collections.
- Credit reference bureaus and other similar third parties offering credit scoring information, including reporting your credit histories with such parties.
- IT service providers including software developers, platform providers or cloud providers.
- Data processing, analytics firms, or search engines to help us analyse our customer data.
- Academic or research institutions.
- Other business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance and execution of any contract we enter into with them or you.
- Advertisers and advertising networks to market products and services to you. Other affiliated entities within the MPower group of companies.
- Any person or entity who invests in or finances (or may potentially invest in or finance), directly or indirectly, MPower, and any of such person’s affiliates, officers, directors, employees, professional advisers, auditors, insurers or insurance brokers, service providers, partners and any delegate, agent, manager, administrator, nominee, attorney, trustee or custodian of any such person.
- When required by law, regulation, court order or other court proceedings.
4. Your consent & rights
If we sell or otherwise transfer part or the whole of MPower or our assets to another organisation (in the course of a transaction like a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, liquidation), your information may be among the items sold or transferred. The buyer or transferee will have to honor the commitments we have made in this Policy.
Subject to applicable data privacy laws, you have the right to:
- See what data we have about you, if any.
- Change/correct any data we have about you.
- Have us delete any data we have about you.
- Express any concern you have about our use of your data.
MPower may modify or update this policy from time to time, so please review it periodically. We may provide you additional forms of notice of modifications or updates as appropriate under the circumstances. Your continued use of our products and services after any modification to this policy will constitute your acceptance of such modification.
6. How to contact us